Friday, April 07, 2006

Allow Myself To Introduce ... ZAGS

This is the fourth of (hopefully) twelve introductory posts about each of the twelve teams in the league. It is also the first running feature of this blog and is therefore extremely exciting.

ZAGS

Owner: D'Artagnan Zagarofsky ("Zaggy")

Favorite Squad: New York Mets

A Squad He Likes In A Sport That Is Not Baseball: Need to find this out. Maybe the New York Rangers?

Interesting Factotum: I have seen Zaggy on four occasions in the past three years, each time for a fantasy sports draft. For that reason I do not have the arsenal of factota to dispense for him as I do for other owners in the league. Zaggy is a friend of O'Flannel's through his and O'Flannel's wife who, back in the day, set them up on a "man date," i.e. when your wife or girlfriend gets together with one of her friends and the two of them decide that since they get along, their respective boyfriends will also get along. As I believe I heard Zaggy tell it, it was the almost unheard of "man date" where you actually like the guy your forced to hang out with.

Not-So-Interesting Factotum: I think he may be an accountant.

Opening Week Lineup
C- Ramon "If I Block The Plate I May Get My Hair Mussed" Hernandez
1B - Lyle Overbay
2B - Jose "I Have A Fat Face On The Jumbotron At Shea" Vidro
3B - David "Simply A Beast" Wright
SS - Miguel "Vitamin B" Tejada
OF - Manny Ramirez
OF - Jeff Francoeur
OF - Barry "Too Many Ideas Come To Mind For A Derogatory Nickname" Bonds
U - Edgar Renteria

SP - Dontrelle "Thank God The WBC Is Over" Willis
SP - Tim Hudson
SP - Mark Mulder
SP - Chris "I K'd 7 In My Padres Debut But Hensley Effing Blew It" Young
SP - Ervin Santana

RP - Francisco Rodriguez
RP - Billy Wagner
RP - Danys "I Knew Gagne Was Done" Baez
RP - Kiko "I Am Inexplicably On A Fantasy Squad" Calero

Predicted Finish: 7

Zagarofsky has put together a strong team this year, not the least because his three keepers, Wright, Manny and Tejada, are arguably the best group of keepers of any team that had keepers. He also put together a solid draft, especially in building his pitching staff which contains solid starters and possibly the two best closers in the game with F-Rod and Wagner. And, with the announcement of Gagne's surgery, he has another closer in the bank with Baez. Potential holes exist, however, most glaringly with Renteria in the Util spot. Bonds is also a big question mark.

Odds He Will Hang A Championship Banner Next Season: 20 to 1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home